Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Spur of the moment thinking

From an e-mail I sent a friend trying to help spur some creative juices for an intro to something he is writing. He said I should make it available. I am doing that. Inspiration for the final thought came from something I read in a book (I think it was Reaching For the Invisible God) by Phillip Yancey. And I don't actually drink coffee. I think it a foul beverage, unfit for human consumption. My morning routine is a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats in 1% milk while reading a copy of the Wall Street Journal.

Why is God easy to forget? He's immense, filling and overflowing the Universe. He's powerful, speaking into existence not just the sun which comprises 99.9% of all of the mass in the solar system but a trillion such balls of burning gas, each one unique. His wrath shakes the foundations of the Earth and causes the heavens to flee. But I wake up in the morning, and need a cup of coffee, take a drive to work, think of all of the tasks I need to accomplish and partition God off to one corner of life, isolated from the rest. How do I let the truth of my body as a vessel for God's work on earth fill my cells which sweat and bleed and grow hungry or sore?

No comments: